Makes 8 adult sized portions. Dairy and Gluten Free
- Olive Oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 celery stick, finely diced
- ½ tsp dried mixed herbs
- 250g sweet potatoes, peeled and coarsely grated
- 500g minced beef
- 1 litre hot beef stock (low if cooking for children)
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- Salt and pepper
- Heat a large, heavy-based pan over a low heat. Add a good glug of olive oil and then the onion, garlic and celery with the dried mixed herbs and swear for about 5 minutes until translucent.
- Add the sweet potatoes and courgettes and cook for 10 minutes until softened.
- Turn the heat up, add the minced beef, season, and cook, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until it has all browned
- Pour in the stock and tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for about an hour, stirring occasionally.
- Season to taste, and either serve or see freezing info below.
Freezing tips: Once the mince has cooled, portion out and freeze in appropriate sized tupperware containers (for microwave) or ramekins/oven proof containers.
To reheat straight from frozen:
Tupperware (microwave): 3 minutes on full microwave heat, covered. Stir then re-cover but don’t seal and microwave for a further 3 minutes
Ramekins (oven): Preheat the oven to 160ºC fan, Gas Mark 4. Cover ramekin with foil and heat for 25-30 minutes or until heated through