These fish steaks are super fragrant, packed with flavour, and a great way to do something a little different with any white fish that you like to buy. The fish tastes best if given a couple of hours to marinade, so if you can prepare this in advance all the better. There are also quite a lot of spices and ingredients involved, but you are likely to have a lot of these in your cupboard already - and if not, they are easily sourced from most supermarkets, or better yet, spice shops such as my favourite one in Borough Market!
Serve simply with rice and, if desired, some steamed greens. And as always, the funnest part about cooking is improvising, so feel free to make this recipe your own!
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 4 x fish steaks of choice (white fish works best)
- Vegetable oil
- 2 x limes cut in ½ to serve
Rice of choice
For the marinade:
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 3 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 tsp grated ginger
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- 75g plain yoghurt
2 tsp nigella seeds (optional)
- Toast the whole spices (cumin seeds, coriander seeds, fennel seeds) in a frying pan until fragrant (5-10 minutes), and once ready, add to a spice grinder and grind to a powder.
- Toast the chilli flakes and turmeric powder in the same pan, and once fragrant (about 5 minutes) add to a bowl and add the recently ground spices.
- Add the remaining marinade ingredients (lemon juice, crushed garlic, grated ginger, finely chopped shallot, salt and plain yoghurt) to the spice mixture, and mix all together.
- Once all mixed together, place the fish steaks in the bowl and coat with marinade/spice mix. Cover and marinate for 1-2 hours, preferably in the fridge or a cold space.
- Once the fish has nearly finished marinating, preheat your grill to medium and oil a baking tray.
- Lay the fish steaks in the tray, and pour over any remaining marinade. If you're a fan of nigella seeds, they add a great decorative touch and the flavour also works really well, so sprinkle these over the top of the fish steaks at this stage.
- Cook under grill for 10 minutes, then remove and serve immediately with rice and any steamed green of choice, and a half a lime per serving.